Nesting

 
Nesting - verb: to build or have a nest; to settle in or as if in a nest.
 
Women are very familiar with the term "nesting". We do this in many ways throughout our lifetime.  
 
I remember when I was carrying my children, as the due date got closer there was the uncontrollable desire to make sure everything was ready for the baby. A burst of energy would take over and like magic things would be settled and waiting for their arrival.
 
The other nesting so familiar to me may be a bit "old school", but growing up I was taught to do a complete cleaning of the house both spring and fall. In the spring it was to clear out the stuffiness of winter and bring in the clear, crisp spring air. And as winter approached we cleaned out and closed up to make sure we would be cozy and warm. Windows got washed inside and out, closets got organized, and gardens were planted in spring and harvested in fall. It felt good to do these things.

With the recent cooler weather I find myself with the urge to start nesting for winter, however my energy level is not what it used to be. When I think of what I used to do many years ago in one day I am left to wonder how I got it done. The house would be cleaned top to bottom - ceilings dusted, walls wiped down, windows and curtains washed, furniture dusted and cleaned, and floors washed. I seemed to be able to do it all and have energy left to spare.

The desire to nest, and make sure our home is ready for the months ahead is still there. It will just take a  bit longer to accomplish the tasks than it used to. When everything has been done our home will be ready to keep us cozy and warm through the upcoming cooler weather. And I will feel a sense of great accomplishment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underneath It All We Are the Same

Palma Nova and Palma de Mallorca, Spain

El Puerto De Santa Maria, Spain