A Special Day with Emily

This past weekend my daughter and grandchildren were with us for a few days. Always such a joy to spend time with them whether we just hang out and play in the lake or spend the day at the ocean. My grandson, who is 10 years old, has been coming to stay with us for 4-5 days each year since he was 2. He has had his special time with us going to museums in Boston and many other places.

Emily is now 5 and  had recently started to ask when she would get her turn. My intent was to have her come stay for a couple of nights by herself this summer, but unfortunately the timing has not worked out. So when I knew they were coming over I decided to surprise her with a special day with her grandmother. When she found out she adamantly told her mother that it would be just she and I - not her and not Anthony. I did not tell her what we were going to do as I wanted it to be a surprise.


 I knew that she loved dressing up like a princess (or a rock star) so figured that a girl's day of pampering would be perfect. Our first stop was at the salon for a new haircut for school. It was fun watching her with such a serious face during the cut, and see her bashful smile when she was told how pretty she was.

 
 Next stop the nail salon - Emily had never had a pedicure so I was not sure what she was thinking. She did tell me after that it felt good to put her feet in the water, and I know she loved her painted nails.
 
  

On to Applebee's for lunch. She had to have an appetizer of Mozzarella Sticks and then Chicken Tenders with Fries and a small Oreo Cookie Sundae to top it all off. Of course her eyes were bigger than her stomach so we had to take home the rest of her chicken and fries.

 
 Last stop was the mall for a bit of shopping - Emily insisted she needed a new bathing suit. Along the way she saw many other pretty things she thought she should have, but I managed to keep her on track. Lucky for me the bathing suits were all on sale for the end of the season and we found one she loved in her size. Of course I had to buy she and her cousin a new outfit for school - couldn't resist.
 
 
 We had such a fun day and I'm not sure who enjoyed it more - Emily or me. I do know that we will make time next summer for her to come stay a few days, and take her on a special outing of her own. Of course I also know her cousin Natalie will be asking for her special day after she sees Emily's pictures.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Do Have Some Control

The Most Disappointing Halloween Ever

These Hands