Ready for Warmer Days

Although we are about a month into spring, there are many days that it’s difficult to believe this. In spite of more daylight hours filled with beautiful sunshine, the temperatures have been quite cold with north winds billowing almost non-stop.

Trees are starting to leaf out, however it seems like it’s been a very slow progression. The bravest of spring flowers have been blooming more recently giving us a glimpse of what’s to come, but how I long to plant my flower bed. I’m inclined to believe the bees agree with me on this as I see them buzzing around looking for pollen.

The chipmunks are scurrying around looking for food and every now and then I will see them sitting on a rock trying to soak up the sun’s warmth. The birds are slowly coming to the bird bath, but there have not been as many as usual, and some mornings they find a bit of ice on their water. I’m still waiting for the first glimpse of the Hummingbirds; I’m sure they are staying snuggled in their nests.

Early in April there were many Bufflehead ducks on the lake which I have never seen here in the past. They are a beautiful sight with their bright white and black coloring. In the last several weeks I have not seen them, or many other ducks floating on the water. Normally by now we will see ducklings closely following their parents as they swim around the lake.

The Loons have returned; occasionally I will see them as they dive for fish, or hear them calling to one another. They seem to be the solitary occupants of the lake right now and it reminds me more of fall than spring.

Mother Nature appears to be moving in slow motion; keeping everything at a slow pace to allow the warmer weather to arrive. Perhaps she is safeguarding the spring babies and sprouting plants to ensure they will survive by arriving a bit later than usual.

I am ready for warmer temperatures and some days my patience wears thin. When will I see the birds, ducks, and other seasonal creatures with their young in tow? When will the ground be warm enough to plant flowers and vegetables? When will winter and this cold spring just be a memory?

As I wait for warmer days and dream of sitting outside soaking up the sun, I will have faith that Mother Nature knows exactly the right time for everything to appear.



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Delights - Traditional Greek Salad (Horiatiki/Xoriatiki)

We Do Have Some Control

Another Decade