Take Time to Breathe

As Christmas draws ever closer we seem to be rushing more and more to make sure everything on that day is our vision of "perfect". Putting pressure on ourselves that really is not necessary to enjoy Christmas Day. In the process we become stressed, moody and quick to lose our cool, and it is always with those closest to us. Thank goodness they usually understand what is going on. If not they might have us committed for our holiday insanity.

I know in the past I was a crazy lady trying to accomplish everything that I deemed necessary to ensure a perfect Christmas Day. Looking back I realize that my children would have had a wonderful Christmas whether or not I had finished every task, baked every treat imaginable, or cleaned the house. That last one is especially comical as Christmas morning created chaos with wrappings and gifts scattered from one end of the house to the other. My children did not notice if all of these things were done as their excitement on that day was seeing if Santa had arrived as promised, and whether or not he ate the cookies and milk.

Now that my children are grown, and I look back on those Christmas holidays of the past, I realize what brought me the greatest joy was the excitement of my children. Their wide eyes as we drove them around to look at Christmas lights, the joy of the Advent Calendar and taking a piece of chocolate out each day, and their excitement early Christmas morning when they heard Santa's sleigh bells as he left. Nothing can ever take away those wonderful memories and they warm my heart, and bring a smile to my face each time I sit back and remember.

That is what this is about today - giving ourselves permission to take time to breathe. To enjoy a few quiet moments to reflect on the true meaning of the holiday. To bring those memories of Christmas past to mind and cherish the warmth they bring to your heart. When we take time to breathe we can move forward at a much slower pace, and show our family what is truly important - time with each other.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Do Have Some Control

The Most Disappointing Halloween Ever

These Hands