No Christmas Gift Needed

What do you want for Christmas? We have all heard that question many times over the years. Often when I was asked, I tried to determine my answer by who was asking and what I felt they could afford to give. I never wanted anyone spending money they really did not have to spare.

As with most of us, when I was younger there were many things I could think of that I would like to have or thought I needed. Early in life we are easily influenced by advertising and our peers. If it is the latest trend and all our friends have it, then we must need it too. Children want a specific (usually expensive) toy, and with teenagers it is the latest fashions or technology. If they do not have these things then they feel they don't fit in with everyone else. At this time in our life the needs and wants are endless, and we can fill a page with requests.

When I had children my needs became fewer, as they were now more important than any needs I had. I could still think of things that I wanted, but they were not the same things I longed for as a teen. My needs now became more about our home and making things for our family. New gadgets for the kitchen or bedding and towels to make the house more beautiful. Nothing a child would find exciting, but things I knew would help make great meals and our home comfortable.

After my children were grown and on their own, if I wanted something I would go out and buy it for myself. When my children asked the question, "what do you want for Christmas?" my answer became "if I can't afford to buy it for myself then you can't afford it either."  I would always try to think of some small thing I had not purchased so they would not spend much of their hard earned money. I remembered how hard it was when I was young and trying to make it on my own.

I now have reached another phase of my life where my needs are very few. When I am now asked "what do you want for Christmas?" my answer is "nothing." Other than the necessities of each day what else is there that I need? I have my children, grandchildren, family and friends and I can honestly say that time with them is a precious gift. There truly is nothing that I need at this point in my life other than more time with all of them.

That is the best Christmas gift that I could receive.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Do Have Some Control

The Most Disappointing Halloween Ever

These Hands