The Art of Writing a Letter

Technology is great, but there is something to be said about writing a letter. Not only can it bring a smile to the recipient, but also allows the author of the letter to share their thoughts, hopes and dreams with someone they care about. To release all the things that have been running around in our minds just waiting to be shared with a confidant.

I remember growing up how excited I would be to receive a letter from a family member or friend - anticipating what they had to say as I opened the envelope. After reading every word carefully I would sit down and send a reply. And so it would go as we shared our feelings and thoughts back and forth over the years. Somewhere along the way we have lost this art of writing letters and the joy it can bring to write and receive such a letter.

I recently decided that I am going to start writing letters to my grandchildren ages 9, 4 and 2 (yes even the 2 year old). I want to make sure that they know me in a way that only can be done in a letter. To share my thoughts and life, and also to let them know how important they are and all the good things I have heard about in their life. I want them to look forward to that letter coming in the mail and to know that their Grandmother loves them, and for the time I write the letter, they are the only thing I am thinking of. As they get older I am hopeful that they will write back, and share their thoughts hopes and dreams knowing I will keep these safe in my heart and encourage them as they go through life.

So - yesterday I wrote my first letter with love to my grandson, and let him know that he will receive many more throughout the years. My granddaughters will be next and then I will start the cycle again. It brought me so much joy to write and I am hopeful that they will wait with anticipation for each letter to come. Hopeful that they will find me their confidant they can share their secrets with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Disappointing Halloween Ever

We Do Have Some Control

These Hands