Remembering the Smell of Love

Fall in New England - a time to enjoy the beautiful colors of the foliage, feel the sun warm our face on a cool day, and smell fresh baked goods wafting through the house. All of these things conjure up memories from my childhood.

My mother is a great baker, and there were always fresh baked goods in our home. Growing up we knew that even after a tough day at school we would arrive home to the loving smell of cookies, pies, cakes or whoopie pies. All of our friends would love coming to visit because they were not used to having this at home, and thought we were the luckiest kids in the world. I'm sure that we tended to take all of this for granted as it was commonplace in our home. Every Saturday night my mom would make homemade pizza and our close friends would try to make sure they were present for this treat.

Fortunately I learned from watching my mother as she created all of these great things. Once I had my own family they too would come home and know that there would be fresh baked goods even though I worked outside the home. That is what I had growing up and I wanted my children to have the same experience. It was one of the ways I could show them my love.

As I have aged the cooking and baking has become the thing that truly brings peace to my soul. During this time I am free to let my mind wander and think of all the great things I have in my life. I am happiest at my kitchen counter preparing these things to share with family and friends. Hoping that they too will always remember the smell of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Disappointing Halloween Ever

We Do Have Some Control

These Hands