Approaching Retirement with Excitement and Apprehension

In just a couple of months I will enter full retirement; partly out of a desire to do so, and partly out of necessity. Although I have dreamed of reaching this milestone, it does not come without some apprehension in regards to finances. My part-time work has allowed for additional cash flow to do a bit more and I would be lying if I said I would not miss this money.

The feelings of excitement regarding retirement relate to having more time for us to spend together enjoying one another’s company, and doing things we have not been free to do. Perhaps we will finally get to play golf more often and get beyond the beginner stage. There will be time for day trips to the many places we have talked about for so long, and we can spend more time with our friends who retired before us.

I truly look forward to tackling the multitude of projects I have set aside for more years than I care to remember. So many things that I have told myself I would do next week, next month or even next year. When we work five days a week our weekends are used to keep up with the usual routine chores, and a little bit of rest and relaxation. There never seems to be enough time for any big project.

Every day in retirement is an open book where we can decide upon rising how we will fill the pages. No restrictions, other than those we make, to keep us from going wherever we want to go. We can do many things or nothing at all. When a warm, sunny day presents itself we can go soak up the rays on the beach, leaving daily chores or projects for another time.

One of the biggest things I am looking forward to is time to myself; an afternoon of peace and solitude to do as I choose. One thing I have learned over the years is the best way to enjoy time alone is to leave home. When we are away from our normal environment we are free to let go of all that is there. Out of sight, out of mind allowing calm to take over.

The necessity of entering retirement will lead down a path of unknown and uncertainty. Many things have changed in the last year, and in time will lead to even more changes. Even though some things are known, there will be much to learn along the way. We will travel the path together and find a way to adjust to what comes.

In the meantime, I will embrace the excitement part of retirement and let go of the apprehension as much as possible. Worrying only steals the joy from our life, so I will push it from my mind and strive to find the adventure in each new day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Do Have Some Control

The Most Disappointing Halloween Ever

These Hands