The Joy of Nature
As I get older it's the small things that bring me joy. With warmer weather I am truly enjoying the awakening of nature with her beauty and sounds.
Early in the morning, or lying in bed at night, listening to the haunting call of my Loons is something I wait all winter to hear. If you have never had the opportunity to hear this, there is nothing else like it and it reaches deep into the soul. Being fortunate enough to watch a Bald Eagle fly over the lake from time to time - so beautiful and majestic. We are not sure where they are nesting but feel blessed to have them on our lake.
On an early morning walk the only sights and sounds are those of nature. Out on the lake you might see one boat in the deeper waters with a lone fisherman enjoying his solitude. The lake's only sound is that of the gentle waves as they come up against the shore. The birds are all awake and you can hear their chatter as they start their day. Even if you don't know one bird's song from another the music is beautiful. It is amusing to watch as they chase one another through the air.
The bird bath in the flower bed is a treasure trove of sights. Watching the birds enjoy this treasure can make us smile and chuckle. Watching them dip into the water and then rise up and flutter their wings to whisk it away and dry off is a sight to see. It has become a spot they all love and every now and then we see one bird chase another away.
In the back yard the entrance to the chipmunk's home sits at the end of the deck stairs. It's hysterical to watch them run around the yard and chase each other - all I can think of is Alvin and the Chipmunks from my childhood. The other morning as I looked out the window, the chipmunks were running around him as he was checking on the garden - they didn't care that he was there. I couldn't stop laughing.
Then there are the hummingbirds that come to the feeder. I am always in awe of these tiny creatures and how rapidly they flap their wings as they hover to get a taste of the sweet nectar. In view and then suddenly gone, so silent you have to watch for them, or you will miss the show.
Of course there are the bees who love my flower bed, flowering sage and chives. This has been a great year for them as there have been so many blossoms for them to choose from. The sage plant was so big and full of flowers that they were in heaven. As always, I work alongside them listening as they buzz from one flower to another. I find the sound very calming.
The sights and sounds of nature. These are the simple things that bring peace to my soul and joy to my days. Be sure to take the time to slow down long enough to watch and listen.
.jpg)
.jpg)


Comments
Post a Comment