Teaching Proper Etiquette and Social Skills

I am aware that I am dating myself when I start to talk about a lack of proper etiquette and social skills in our youth and society as a whole. However, when I am out in public, or in social situations, I am often dismayed by the behavior that I encounter. Common courtesy and basic social skills seem to be disappearing.

A few things that my parents taught me as I was growing up (with one or two new things added that apply today).
  • First and foremost remember your manners and be polite.
  • Never interrupt someone when they are speaking. Although you may think what you have to say is important, you can wait for your turn.
  • Always say "please" and "thank you".
  • When invited for dinner don't show up empty handed.
  • If you are a guest in someone's home always offer to help.
  • When someone takes the time to pick out and give you a gift, make sure you send them a hand written thank you.
  • Do not talk about your personal life at work or in public. It is nobody's business but yours, and they really do not care to hear about it. They have their own to worry about.
  • Just because you are thinking it does not mean you have to say it. Not everyone needs, or wants, your opinion.
  • And following that as my parents always said, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all".
  • Choose your words carefully - try to be diplomatic.
  • When approaching a door you should always open it for 1. a lady, if you are a man  and 2. for an elder.
  • The rules apply to everyone - you are not special, and you are not exempt from following them.
  • Be kind and share with others.
  • Turn off your mobile phone/devise when you enter school (you are there to learn); work (you are being paid to work); when you enter a meeting or social event (you are there to communicate face to face or give your attention to the presenter).
  • Pass these along to your children and grandchildren as good manners and proper etiquette do not go out of style.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Do Have Some Control

The Most Disappointing Halloween Ever

These Hands